Rules & Regulations
KARATE MAYNIA TOURNAMENT RULES
COMPETITORS COMPETE AT THE AGE THEY WERE AS OF JANUARY 1 OF THE COMPETITION YEAR. ALL COMPETITORS MUST COMPETE AT THE HIGHEST BELT RANK THEY HAVE ACHIEVED. THE RINGS ARE RUN WITH 3 OR 5 JUDGES PER RING.
- UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT If you are Disqualified due to any form of unsportsmanlike behaviour, you will receive no awards or points for the tournament and risk being banned from future events (this includes non-competitors).
- Anyone found not competing in his/her correct age or belt division (highest belt rank achieved) will be automatically disqualified and no points will be awarded.
- To win a BIG TROPHY, competitor must finish FIRST in any division with 4 or more competitors registered in that division
- If ANY competitor wins a total of 3 BIG TROPHIES in each of Weapons, Forms and Sparring divisions for their age and belt level group (Traditional division for black belts) the competitor is considered a “Grand Champion”, and will receive a Grand Champion Belt!
- Judges will score based on spirit, performance, technique and basics, not according to their personal version of the form.
- The following are only allowed in creative/musicals divisions: flips, aerials, and acrobatics. All other forms divisions must have traditional stances and techniques.
- Competitors may compete ONLY ONCE in any 1 division. Creative/musical competitors may do open hand, or weapons, NOT both.
- Musical competitors must bring their own sound box or share with someone in the same division
KATA & WEAPONS
- Kyu belts are scored on a scale of 8.90 to 8.99
- Black belts are scored on a scale of 9.90 to 9.99.
- Ties: Judges winner comparison will break ties. Then highest middle score. Then remove high score only. Then low only. Then re-do.
- Order of competition: Ring coordinators will collect the competitor cards, shuffle them, then announce the order of competitors and place them in order around the ring. Late entries are allowed, provided the third competitor has not yet completed their kata. The late entry competitor must compete right away (this change should be noted on the score sheet, as it changes the order of scoring the competitors).
- ALL competitors will perform their kata before scoring starts. Competitors will then stand up again, in order, to be scored.
- A competitor who forgets his/her form or drops weapon may ask for a restart with a penalty deduction of 0.05 (only once and for kyu belts only)
- NO restarts for Black Belts.
SPARRING (only one sparring division allowed per competitor)
- NO WARNINGS FOR ANY PENALTY.
- APPROVED SAFETY EQUIPMENT IS MANDATORY IN ALL DIVISIONS!!
- Soft foam Head, Hand, & Foot Gear, Shin Guards, Mouth Guard, and Groin Cup. (Fingers & Toes must be covered)
- Jewellery or other objects that might endanger a competitor may not be worn.
- NO COACHING !!!
- Kyu belts (under Black Belt) – First to 5 points or 2 minute time limit, all techniques are 1 point, no mercy rule.
- Black Belts – 1 round, 2 minutes total points, 10 point mercy rule, must win by minimum 2 points – all techniques 1 point – EXCEPT – kick to head or jumping kick to body, 2 points – jumping head kick, 3 points * IF score has less than 2 point differential after 2 minutes, match continues until 2 point differential is achieved by one fighter
Chest, Ribs, Abdominal area – HEAD: Light contact (touch) – FACE MASK AREA: NO Contact in KYU Belt, Black Belt Light Touch
- NO CONTACT: MEANS NO CONTACT!! Contact to the FACE may result in automatic Penalty Point or DISQUALIFICATION !
- Excessive contact ANYWHERE: – First Offence; Penalty Point awarded to other player or DISQUALIFICATION !
- Heavy Contact ANYWHERE. Automatic DISQUALIFICATION !
- Swelling, Redness, or Bleeding could result in automatic DISQUALIFICATION to other player.
- Grabbing and/or holding and/or throwing is NOT allowed. Throwing will result in DISQUALIFICATION !
- Reckless, uncontrolled technique may also result in DISQUALIFICATION, even if no contact is made.
- NO GROUND FIGHTING.
- SWEEPS: Sweeps are not allowed. No “leg checking” either.
- BYES: All Byes will be given in first round only. No competitor shall be exempt from the draw to select the byes at any time.
- PROTESTS: Competitors, Parents or Instructors may NOT protest judgement calls. You may protest a rule violation, if done in a respectful manor. Protest must be made during or at the end of a match and before the next match begins.
The Arbitrator has the final say.
- OUT OF BOUNDS: A player is out of bounds when 1 foot is outside the ring area. Running out of bounds may result in a penalty point awarded to opponent. Fighting out of bounds requires a restart.
- Two competitors from the same school shall not fight each other in the first round unless unavoidable. Byes must be randomly drawn and if this results in 2 competitors from the same school having to compete against each other, then it is unavoidable. At no time should a competitor be exempt from the draw for selecting the byes.
- ALL RULES WILL BE ENFORCED AT THE DISCRETION OF THE CENTRE JUDGE, AND/OR TOURNAMENT ARBITRATOR.